Apr 3, 2009

Sleeping Tina

Scene of poem-creation: a classroom

Mine eyes are drooping hard and fast
Unless I do a thing right now
To keep it open wide 'n wake
They’d fall upon mine eyelids soon
And take mine head down on this desk
Until it hits so hard and loud
And wake me up in thunder blues

Did mine head just tilt that side
And give a jolt that shook me up?
Yes it did, and now I am up
To see a pair of eyes that stared…

He kept teaching, did he not see -
Of all those eyes that looked at him
With heads on palms and rested still -
There was a pair that stopped blinking
And failed to keep her head erect
One that wished so much right then
To find a bed and rest her head

Oh forgive me, kind teacher
For I do not on purpose do
This act that no good student should
Of sleeping while she sits in class

Understand me dear teacher
I am but a helpless prey
To an attack long and strong
From an uninvited nap,
No man or woman born till date
Can fight to kill or send away

No comments: