Jun 26, 2009

Grew up with, forgot later 'n now mourn for: MJ

I grew up in the 90s. And like most kids who grew up in 90s, Tom and Jerry, Magi Noodles and Michael Jackson were part of my life.

To tell I grew up singing Jackson's songs everyday would be an exaggeration - being in Kerala. But as far as English songs went, MJ's was the first name that every child got introduced to.

In those days... my bro would claim he knew exactly how to do the moonwalk and do what looked like Bugs Bunny trying to balance on Elmer's head (that is a rabbit on a man's head, for those unfamiliar with the cartoon). I believed him of course and did an even worse imitation, ending up crawling on and squishing the floor.

'Dangerous' was forever in our tape recorder and we'd sing 'The girl is so dangerous' on the top of our voice. Bro even had these special music quizzes with me scoring 10 on 10 cause Michael would inevitably be the answer to all his questions.
We are the world, Black or White, Heal the World were all part of our daily singing exercise that lasted an hour long. Thriller, Bad, Billy Joe, Annie are you ok would come too some days.

Years went by and the MJ glory began to fade. Maybe it was the controversies. Or maybe it was just that people do not stick to one thing for long. But to see the same guy who made his fans faint out of love and adoration at one time, now hated and condemned - well it makes you wonder about life: does anything last?

Yes it does. His music for one. His songs. His dance. His moonwalks.

Today morning a friend told me over phone Michael Jackson has died. For at least an hour I was in shock. I haven't thought of this guy in years. I haven't sung his songs or bothered of what he was up to. I opened my email and wrote to my bro "MJ :-(". He wrote back "Yea... Pity".

Stars like him do leave a mark, it may only be at the end that you realise how big the mark is. And then all that you forgot over the years, comes alive. RIP, MJ.

But let his music live forever.

"Heal the world, Make it a better place,
For you and for me and the entire human race
There are people dying if you care enough for the living
Make a better place, for you and for me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its Billie Jean ,cris